However, the 'arena' setting can also be distracting. Since "Ring" was set mostly at nighttime outdoors, there was beautiful lights evoking a twilight moon with stars all around. However, that light shone from behind the audience, making us glow. It was almost awkwardly uncomfortable - seeing the other audience in front of me as well as noticing how much light I was in. It slightly detracted from the performance.
"Ring", like any good farce, is a bit over the top - but this production at times begged for laughs. There were the actors with prompt comedic timing, barely lifting a finger, effortlessly earning laughs with their poise and wit. Yet other characters became "caricatures", and it seemed almost artificial their movements and mannerisms. They were working too hard.
With an 8PM curtain and a 3 hour show, one wonders why we didnt' start earlier. At the final bow, both the actors and the audience were relieved we had resolution (though I don't think most would've minded the show ending by Act 2). There were shining moments of comedic brilliance, thanks to Madame Desmortes (played by Maggie Pistner) and Isabelle's Mother (Linda Sue Anderson). Even moments where the audience is confronted with humanity with a rather poignant scene between Messerschmann (a wealthy businessman who is unhappy with his money) and Isabelle (a poor girl who thought money would make her happy but realizes it can't). The two rip up a wad of Messerschmann's cash throwing it around violently. It was a powerful visual to see rich and poor so unconcerned with money, what makes the world go 'round. Yet, the play continued for another 30 minutes, giving some resolution, albeit unnecessary in my opinion, to loose ends from the multiple story lines.
Though pockets of great moments did entertain and give pause for deep contemplation, searching for a meaning - the leading man did little to keep the action moving, and let the pace that was building fall flat with his rather flat performance.
In the end, I (barely) Liked It.
SCORE CHEAP TICKETS: With a student ID, you can get 50% most seats, but you have to reserve in advance and present the ID upon pickup at the theater. Located near Cedar and Washington, just off 35W.
PARKING TIPS: You'll be the envy of the neighborhood if you score a meter on the weekend in this popular area (and also save a boatload on parking). I opted for the ramp at the Holiday Inn which was convenient, but horribly expensive. Theater in the Round 'apparently' validates parking here (as I paid more to park than to watch the show) but this was not printed anywhere obvious. I noticed validation coupons clutched in others hands as we approached the pay box. Little known secret I guess. I would suggest parking at the ramp just SOUTH of the theater on your left. It is about half the price and no tricky validation needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment