Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Promise, A link, and it was all 'yellow'.

Just got back from Ma Rainey's Black Bottom at Le GUTHRIE. It's going to take some time to let that one sink in. I'll have the full review for you by Tuesday. (I promise...)

I never saw a show at the "old" Guthrie, but since it has moved into its new home in 2005, I can't imagine seeing it anywhere else. Not only has the development of the theater in the mill district revitalized the area, but it has become something of a grand public space. You can access most of the building without a ticket, and it is home to my favorite place in all of Minneapolis at night: The 9th Floor Dowling Studio Lobby, which I affectionately refer to as "the Yellow Room". It takes a little trick to figure out how to get up there, but once you find the right bank of elevators, you are whisked away to view everything in a somber yellow tone. The views at night are spectacular. Being at the Guthrie for an evening is half the fun; the other half is seeing good theater. This co-production with Penumbra didn't disappoint.

In the meantime, I leave you with a link to a website that I use mostly to check for upcoming auditions in the area. Recently, I just discovered it has a calendar feature that displays EVERY show happening on a single night - and you can search out far in advance to make plans or just be spur of the moment! Thanks MinnesotaPlaylist.com!




No comments:

Post a Comment