No, I didn't forget to insert the name of this post...
[title of show] is the name of the hilarious musical I saw Saturday night at the Sabes Theater in the Jewish community center in St. Louis Park. Presented by Urban Samurai productions, this off-Broadway hit found itself a warm reception by a delighted audience on opening weekend.
[title of show] is the story of 4 New York theater aficionados who are struggling to find success in their art. One has taken a part time job she hates, one is close to landing that big Broadway break, and the other two are composer and playwright, struggling to come up with an entry to an upcoming festival showcasing new work. Then, the idea strikes: a musical about writing a musical.
This production was absolutely brilliant. The show itself deserves a lot of credit, as there are enough general 'funny' jokes and situations to make all ages laugh, but also a number of insider references - namely, plays off of "Wicked", "Rent" and other 'name-brand' musicals that if known, will garner a few extra laughs. The talent is absolutely stunning - and Max Wojtanowicz really shows off his vocal chops and acting chops - with a quirky, enduring quality that somehow manages to find the humanity within a show about... nothing.
IN THE END: I REALLY, REALLY LOVED IT.
(in fact, it was the best show I've seen so far as part of this blog.)
Oh, and if you're wondering what happened to "Avenue Q"? Well, it's wildly popular. And sold out the night I wanted to go. So that's on the backburner for now.
IF YOU GO: The Sabes JCC is literally in the middle of nowhere. You'll take 394 West out of Minneapolis, exit into a residential neighborhood, and just when you think you've taken a wrong term, the road deposits you into an overgrowth of trees that houses a large facility with plenty of free parking. Trust your Garmin on this one.
Tickets can be purchased directly through their website, but for students, I'd suggest visiting Goldstar and registering for a free account to buy tickets for half off. The company also has a widely popular 'pay what you can' night for those who love great theater, but who don't have great budgets.
You can read the 'professional' critic's review from the StarTribune here.

No comments:
Post a Comment