I prepared "Love to Me" from Light in the Piazza, "Colors of My Life" from Barnum and the "Vagabond" by John Ireland. I started off by running through all 3 pieces for Shari so she could get an idea of where my voice was at. Then, we pulled out Love to Me, and worked from an emotional standpoint to let the emotion consume me and resonate within me. Through some focusing and unlocking that emotion, I really made some great natural adjustments to my sound and the response was immediate from the people in the room. The thing is, sometimes I overthink when I sing. It's good to think about all these technical aspects when you're practicing. But I have to learn to trust myself when I perform and just put the emotion in, release into it and let go of all the thoughts. It's incredibly difficult.
Singing is an interesting process. It's difficult for a non-singer to understand the way we prepare, think, process and perform. It's so very different, there are so many layers to it, yet it comes off in a performance as looking 'easy'. It's not. It's the most challenging thing ever to have so much control yet be relaxed and natural. I'm still figuring out how to do it. But when I experience it, the trust-- it is immensely easier to sing and it connects with people. I think I'm gonna do that more often!
Saw "Billy Elliot" tonight. What a production. Lights, staging, dance numbers were all incredible. Then, we had the amazing opportunity to sit down with the cast, including the leads (Gregory Jbara who plays the father, and one of the "Billys" himself Trent Kowalik) Super talented cast and thanks to Cara Kjellman the dance captain for organizing it for us Bethel students and for working with us while we're here in NYC!
Stopped in at my favorite eatery here in Brooklyn: Park Plaza Diner. It's just down the block from the St. George and if you know a true diner, they have cheap prices, pretty good food and just about anything at any time of the day. Tonight: amazing cinnamon french toast, eggs, bacon and sausage. delicious!
In the city that never sleeps, i find myself quite tired. So, goodnight!
Can't wait to hear you sing these songs at your Recital! You sound like a local New Yorker...Love you...Mom
ReplyDelete