My goal for this blog is 2-fold. One, I want to have a time of reflection set aside about once or twice a week so that I can remember funny events and all the amazing places I'm about to visit. Two, this is for family and friends to see what I'm up to at their own pace, making it easier for them to stay connected to what I'm doing. I'm hoping to put up pictures with each post with a glimpse to what life is like wherever I am.
Oh, and the name. Yeah, it seems random. But it actually has a deeper meaning. As a sojourner, I'm going to be getting a glimpse of what several different cultures offer as I move from country to country. I want to discover more about them, and the goal for myself is to be as open and as inquisitive as possible (a sleuth). I want to also investigate what it means to be me, without the filters and the comfort of a culture and a life that I've lived exclusively here in America. Besides the psychological meaning behind "SLEUTH" it also doubles as a clever acronym: Spencer-Lian's-European-Union-Trip-Headquarters. I totally figured that out after the fact though ;)
I'd appreciate your prayers and your emails as I start this journey. I am looking forward to seeing how my relationship with God, my friends and those that I encounter on my sojourn will play out. I'm also interested in seeing how my spirituality develops, because of the fact that spiritual life is so much more available at school. It's going to be a challenge to make time to pray, but I'm hoping those around me will want to embrace that challenge together.
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to."
-J.R.R. Tolkien"
Hi Spencer, I fell asleep praying for your safe flight to Amsterdam and then on to Germany...woke at 4:30 and started praying again for safety and protection for all you Bethel travelers. Looking forward to reading about and seeing the places you have been. Very excited for you and all the experiences you will encounter. Thanks for doing this blog!!! I Love you, Mom
ReplyDelete"Ya Volt Spencer".... When you run into Cornel Clink say Hi for me. I know you will have a great adventure and open many new doors will open for you thru the next months. Go full speed and soak it all in. Thanks for setting this up to share with us. All the best Spencer.... BL
ReplyDeleteHi Spencer! So glad to sign on tonight and see that you have already written about your first adventures as a "European Traveler". I know that flight to Amsterdam is no joy - Craig and I had a one night layover there before going to Paris. After you get back, you will realize that none of the photos you take will ever really capture the true beauty of the place, but will remind you of the feeling you had while you were there living it.
ReplyDeleteWe will miss you at Kara's Baptism this weekend!
Suz